You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board.
If you require any assistance, please email our Admin Staff directly at admin@forum.poultryswapontario.net

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
best electronet equipment to buy?
seanbutler Offline
Into The Incubator

Likes Given: 6
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2013
best electronet equipment to buy?
I'm thinking of investing in an electronet fencing system for my chickens. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? 42" or 48"? Single spike or double? Solar charger or one you plug in? I'm thinking of the PRS 50 solar charger (see here: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.p...id=51617), because I have a lot of land and I want to be able to range the chickens farther away from the house than an extension cord would allow. And I'm thinking of 48" double spike electronet. Any thoughts?
04-18-2013 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post
Just Ducky Offline
Swap Obsessed

Likes Given: 0
Poultry Enthusiast Since:
RE: best electronet equipment to buy?
(04-18-2013 08:56 PM)seanbutler Wrote:  I'm thinking of investing in an electronet fencing system for my chickens. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? 42" or 48"? Single spike or double? Solar charger or one you plug in? I'm thinking of the PRS 50 solar charger (see here: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.p...id=51617), because I have a lot of land and I want to be able to range the chickens farther away from the house than an extension cord would allow. And I'm thinking of 48" double spike electronet. Any thoughts?

I would not go with a solar charger for electronet. It's not strong enough. You're far better off with a long leadout cable and a good energizer.
Definately go with the 48 inch small celled poultry net.

I run 6 lengths of electronet in the summer and I've been doing it for 4 years.

If you want some good advice about fencers, you can email Gallagher Canada and they will respond.
04-19-2013 05:47 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Just Ducky's post:
seanbutler
Money Offline
Swap Obsessed

Likes Given: 106
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2012
we bought exactly that directly from Premier1 and it is a 164' , 48'' double spike, quality looks very good. I will put it up this week end and let you know. We choose the double spike to make sure that the fence will not go down with a bit of wind.

i have read a lot before and saw very good comments.

Premier1 shipped the day after i ordered! and it is free shipping within the US, so i had it ship in Massena NY. or you could use Ogdensburg, NY given that it is near the 416.
04-19-2013 02:03 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Money's post:
seanbutler
Just Ducky Offline
Swap Obsessed

Likes Given: 0
Poultry Enthusiast Since:
(04-18-2013 08:56 PM)seanbutler Wrote:  I'm thinking of investing in an electronet fencing system for my chickens. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? 42" or 48"? Single spike or double? Solar charger or one you plug in? I'm thinking of the PRS 50 solar charger (see here: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.p...id=51617), because I have a lot of land and I want to be able to range the chickens farther away from the house than an extension cord would allow. And I'm thinking of 48" double spike electronet. Any thoughts?

I think Premier stuff is good but why shop in the states? Gallagher makes a great quality poultry electronet that you can get right here in Ontario.

By the way- you don't need a long extension cord.. plug the fencer into a secure location and use a lead-out cable. And make sure your ground system is top-notch. That's key.
04-19-2013 05:30 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Just Ducky's post:
ross, seanbutler
Bobbi Offline
Top Swapper

Likes Given: 1,226
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2012
This is exactly what you need: Go with Gallagher products, they're the best.

PowerPlus M150 Energizer, insulated lead out cable, joint clamps & Earth clamps, a great ground rod about 5ft in ground, and the fence is a 48" poultry electric fence. All made by Gallagher.

We have all these products, plus the smart fence & the S17 solar charger for it for our pigs. As the person above has mentioned, the solar energizer will NOT power the poultry mesh, it just won't work. Not enough power.

Just a small town girl, getting back to my roots.
04-24-2013 02:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bobbi's post:
seanbutler
Brebis Offline
Something to Crow About!

Likes Given: 31
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2011
I agree that the Gallagher is a good bet. We've used the electric polywire, posts and electronet for over 10 years for sheep and it's still in good condition-it may cost more but it's really well built. Only drawback was the groundhogs chewing through it when it was off!
(This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 02:42 PM by Brebis.)
04-24-2013 02:41 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brebis's post:
seanbutler