You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board.
If you require any assistance, please email our Admin Staff directly at admin@forum.poultryswapontario.net

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chicks and Turkey poults together?
English Cottage Farm Girl Offline
Freshly Laid Egg

Likes Given: 8
Poultry Enthusiast Since:
Chicks and Turkey poults together?
Hi everyone! Just bought a small hobby farm, and we're planning to bring in chickens, turkeys and pigs this spring. We're very green to all of this: does anyone have experience with keeping chicks and turkey poults in the same brooder? We've determined that we'll keep them in separate coops once grown (though they will share pasture), but can they be brooded together? Our plan is for 35-40 Chantecler chics, and 3 or 4 Small White turkeys.

Also, does a brooding area 8' x 8' sound large enough for this many birds, assuming we can move them into their coops at about 5 weeks of age?

Thanks, and hopefully soon I can be answering questions for some greenies like myself! :)

Hannah
03-10-2014 05:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post
Mary Anns rabbitry Offline
I Support PSO!

Likes Given: 466
RE: Chicks and Turkey poults together?
I was told you can.. but the turkeys take more protein than the chicks do.

BREEDING FRENCH AND GERMAN MIX ANGORA RABBITS..IN WHITES ONLY
Meat rabbits
03-10-2014 06:09 PM
Lisa Offline
Something to Crow About!

Likes Given: 253
Welcome to the forum!

Beltsville smalls? You CAN brood them together for a short time (to see the size difference, have a look at the live webcam show from HolyCrow right now - she's got a bunch of Beltsvilles hatched out, and I can see one Chantie in there), but it's not a great idea. Chick starter is lower in protein than turkey starter, and the turkeys will outgrow the chicks very quickly. I once read that turkeys spend the first 7 weeks of their lives trying to commit suicide - after that they are indestructible. This pretty much matches my (limited) experience with turkeys, so I like to give them the best start I can! Icon_wink
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 08:47 PM by Lisa.)
03-10-2014 06:41 PM
Quailsong Away
Swap Guru

Likes Given: 348
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 4FR
I'll be brooding some chickens & a few turkey day-olds together end of April. Here's what I'm doing, hopefully it's useful to you:

- Make sure to increase protein in feed. It shouldn't hurt your chicken chicks for the short term, but will make them grow stronger & feather out nicely. Some people intentionally give meat birds turkey starter to grow them out better.

- Turkey chicks get the benefit of learning how to drink from water via the chickens. This makes them less suicidal...barely.

- Just before turkeys get to the point where they might start stepping on the chicks, separate them.

- Blackhead is a risk with keeping chickens & turkeys together but there are natural prevention methods you can use. One is cayenne pepper in the feed/water, in addition to fresh garlic. If blackhead is common in your area, you'd want to do this more often.

Also, welcome to the forums!

Quail, chickens & turkeys. Raising for home, health & temperament. Natural focus; deep litter, FF, herbal, etc..
03-10-2014 07:18 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Quailsong's post:
Lisa, Little Ponderosa
AnatoleCannon Offline
Addicted Swapper

Likes Given: 15
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2009
I don't have any experience raising chicks and turkies together, but i did recently see a Salatin video where he says he just mixes the chick and turkey starter together. He says the turkies will pick out the high protien and the chicks prefer the starchier low protein feed. Seems to be working well for him at least.

anatole
03-10-2014 09:29 PM
syble Offline
Staff Member

I raise chicks and turkeys together on a 22% multifowl starter, later on in life they get 18% developer. Just watch for agression, I actually had one batch of turkeys bullied by chicks a thitd their size. Lots of space and spread out feeding stations help alot

HATCHING EGGS AVAILABLE SPRING 2014 Exhibition Lines. Blue/Black/Splash Marans (NON COPPERED), Araucanas (ginger blue, BBR, Blue/Black/Splash), TURKEY slates and bourbon red, and coturnix quail in many colours. See my website for details or feel free to send me an e-mail
03-11-2014 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post
I Support PSO!

I am doing this year.... So I will see how it goes... I am not to sure on cayenne pepper to stop blackhead. I know it is suppose to be a natural dewormer.. and help keep hens warm in the really cold snaps..

Meat rabbits
03-11-2014 11:29 AM
Quailsong Away
Swap Guru

Likes Given: 348
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 4FR
MAR from my understanding it won't cure it if BH is already present & killing the birds. It will however act more as a preventative. If an area is way highly susceptible to BH than normal then I'd probably say go with non-natural medication. My own area seems to have no issues, so I'm fine with taking the risks. Cayenne pepper has a lot of other bonus uses to it, so it's part of my flock's diet anyways. :)

Quail, chickens & turkeys. Raising for home, health & temperament. Natural focus; deep litter, FF, herbal, etc..
03-11-2014 02:52 PM
I Support PSO!

I think I will keep putting it in there diet to.. Just not as much in the summer than in the winter

Meat rabbits
03-11-2014 03:53 PM
thejonesboy Offline
Chicken Wrangler

Likes Given: 687
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2013
So all the books/websites say that turkeys need a higher temperature than chickens in the brooder.

Does it really matter that much? Rubbingchin

Andy Friedegg
03-11-2014 09:04 PM
I Support PSO!

I do know that they cant have any dampness what so ever... very touchy birds in the beginning. Not to sure on heat as I go by what the birds need by looking at them

Meat rabbits
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 08:02 AM by Mary Anns rabbitry.)
03-12-2014 08:02 AM
Bobbi Offline
Top Swapper

Likes Given: 1,055
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2012
Our brooders are about 5x5 and its recommended for a max of 35 chicks. So an 8x8 will be fine, the poults get big fast though and need more space. The poults need some help getting started, but the chicks usually teach them (this is from the wisdom of my turkey mentor not from personal experience, I got my poults at a few days old). You can feed the chicks and turkeys a poultry starter (I use 22% multi fowl starter).
Have fun, they're all fun to grow. Chanties are beautiful, I'm getting a few this year as well. You should try some colorful turkeys too, part of growing them (for me anyways) is enjoying their beautiful colors.

Just a small town girl, getting back to my roots.
03-12-2014 09:26 AM
Bobbi Offline
Top Swapper

Likes Given: 1,055
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 2012
If they have that many chicks and other poults with them, I wouldn't worry. They'll huddle if they're cold. Just keep a 250 watt heat lamp on them and watch their behavior. If they seem cold, you can keep one lower in the other end of the box for the turkeys.

Just a small town girl, getting back to my roots.
03-12-2014 09:28 AM
syble Offline
Staff Member

My brooders are all set up with a hot spot and a cooler end, they will self regulate very well. I havent used it but cyan is more a preventative. Bh seams to strike in high stress (bullied birds) hot wet periods for me. I keep metronidazole pills on hand just in case but really its not that big of a deal. Keep an eye on your flock, youll see it.

HATCHING EGGS AVAILABLE SPRING 2014 Exhibition Lines. Blue/Black/Splash Marans (NON COPPERED), Araucanas (ginger blue, BBR, Blue/Black/Splash), TURKEY slates and bourbon red, and coturnix quail in many colours. See my website for details or feel free to send me an e-mail
03-12-2014 10:48 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes syble's post:
Bobbi
ross Offline
Top Swapper

Likes Given: 3,226
Poultry Enthusiast Since: 1949
I always found if the chicks whatever breed were to cold they would all huddle right under lamp on top of one another if scattered away from lite center they were to hot . I just moved my bulb up or down as needed . Never used a brooder just chick guard ( cheap) sized to # of chicks & in a circle . No corners to pile up in .at one time Purina I think had a one feed fits all breeds feed , don't know if still available . st/gr/finisher.

If it ain't fun why do it
Retired & with a warped sense a hummer ;-)
Chickens - SS Hamburgs (Banties) & mixed Wyandotte Banty layers(all free range) ,Pigeons - Flying Rollers - Fireballs & Oriental , cockatiels , a guard llama & dogs
And a wife who makes it all worthwhile . Wave
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 01:51 PM by ross.)
03-12-2014 01:43 PM